Home » News » Public Safety
Cause of Bedford office building blaze still under investigation
According to Fire Chief Scott Wiggin, no one was injured in the blaze at the Daniel Webster Office Park on the Old Route 3, located south of Target and Lowe's and the new bridge that crosses the Everett Turnpike, but the call came in just in time for the evening commute.
"We received a call of fire through a roof at 288 South River Road at about 5 p.m.," Wiggin said, and when crews arrived, fire could be seen coming from both the roof and windows of the building.
"It was fairly well-involved at that time," Wiggin said.
Wiggin described the scene as a "nightmare" for police officers diverting traffic.
South River Road, Technology Drive and half of Hawthorne Drive were closed and motorists were directed to the Everett Turnpike and other alternate routes.
Wiggin said the fire started in an attic space, which was a lightweight truss type of construction.
"It's like a box of kindling," he said.
While one portion of the structure was a total loss, Wiggin said the building was in an "L" shaped configuration and a firewall separating the two buildings likely saved the second.
"We were able to control it at the firewall," he said. "That's the intention of firewalls, to give you that barrier, that line of demarcation."
Seven communities provided mutual aid, including Goffstown, Merrimack and Londonderry, with New Boston and Hooksett providing station coverage.
An excavator was brought in to turn over debris, allowing firefighters to check for hot spots, and South River Road re-opened at about 9 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry woman arrested after police pursuit - 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 2
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 11
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 2
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 1
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 10
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Derry woman arrested after police pursuit
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride