Home » News » Public Safety
Smoke brings crews back to Wolfeboro garage
Wolfeboro Fire-Rescue crews returned to the Public Works building on Route 109A, Pine Hill Road, on Wednesday morning after workers noticed smoke coming from a section of the ceiling. (LARISSA MULKERN PHOTO)
On Tuesday, a fire that may have been caused by an electrical problem broke out at the garage shortly after 1 p.m. and destroyed a 2005 International six-wheel snow plow truck, damaged a sidewalk snow plow and a variety of tools. Fire and smoke caused extensive damage to the five-bay, 4,000-square-foot, wood-framed garage.
Dave Ford, the town's director of public works and water and sewer utilities, said the plow's sander might be salvageable but he won't know until it's inspected. He said at least half the building was destroyed as well as the roof. The building is between 40 and 50 years old.
Ford was at the scene on Wednesday morning with other officials including Town Manager David Owen and Investigator Tom Riley from the state Fire Marshal's office. He said a worker called fire crews back on Wednesday after noticing a little smoke coming from the ceiling, but that the fire never re-ignited.
He said the fire might have originally started in the fuse box of the snow plow, then spread through the vehicle's wires into the cab. The plow truck - the second newest in the DPW fleet - had been out until the early morning hours on Tuesday plowing and sanding. The driver returned it to the garage at about 11 a.m.
Fire-Rescue Chief Butch Morrill said the fire might have been smoldering for an hour or more before it was discovered.
Ford said the department has a total of 10 snow plow trucks plus a back up truck.
He is meeting with insurance adjusters on Friday, in time to meet with the Board of Selectmen in advance of the town's Deliberative Session on Tuesday night. One warrant article requests $340,000 for a variety of high priority public works and infrastructure repairs.
No one was injured in the fire. Crews came from Tuftonboro Fire-Rescue, Center Ossipee Fire-Rescue and Wakefield Fire-Rescue. Ossipee Corner Fire-Rescue and Wolfeboro Central Station provided mutual aid. Stewarts Ambulance and the Wolfeboro Police Department also assisted at the scene.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Nashua man critical after being hit by box truck - 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinnaRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 1
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
Hockey brought them together; Hooksett ice rink will serve as NH couple's 'church' for wedding