Home » News » Public Safety
Smoke brings crews back to Wolfeboro garage
Wolfeboro Fire-Rescue crews returned to the Public Works building on Route 109A, Pine Hill Road, on Wednesday morning after workers noticed smoke coming from a section of the ceiling. (LARISSA MULKERN PHOTO)
On Tuesday, a fire that may have been caused by an electrical problem broke out at the garage shortly after 1 p.m. and destroyed a 2005 International six-wheel snow plow truck, damaged a sidewalk snow plow and a variety of tools. Fire and smoke caused extensive damage to the five-bay, 4,000-square-foot, wood-framed garage.
Dave Ford, the town's director of public works and water and sewer utilities, said the plow's sander might be salvageable but he won't know until it's inspected. He said at least half the building was destroyed as well as the roof. The building is between 40 and 50 years old.
Ford was at the scene on Wednesday morning with other officials including Town Manager David Owen and Investigator Tom Riley from the state Fire Marshal's office. He said a worker called fire crews back on Wednesday after noticing a little smoke coming from the ceiling, but that the fire never re-ignited.
He said the fire might have originally started in the fuse box of the snow plow, then spread through the vehicle's wires into the cab. The plow truck - the second newest in the DPW fleet - had been out until the early morning hours on Tuesday plowing and sanding. The driver returned it to the garage at about 11 a.m.
Fire-Rescue Chief Butch Morrill said the fire might have been smoldering for an hour or more before it was discovered.
Ford said the department has a total of 10 snow plow trucks plus a back up truck.
He is meeting with insurance adjusters on Friday, in time to meet with the Board of Selectmen in advance of the town's Deliberative Session on Tuesday night. One warrant article requests $340,000 for a variety of high priority public works and infrastructure repairs.
No one was injured in the fire. Crews came from Tuftonboro Fire-Rescue, Center Ossipee Fire-Rescue and Wakefield Fire-Rescue. Ossipee Corner Fire-Rescue and Wolfeboro Central Station provided mutual aid. Stewarts Ambulance and the Wolfeboro Police Department also assisted at the scene.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Group raising money for family of Raymond man killed by boulder - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 15
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test