No job too big for Hopkinton's Tom Walton
A longtime youth coach in several sports, Walton co-founded the Capital Area Race Series in 2005 and served as a volunteer to build and coach the men's and women's cross country programs at New Hampshire Technical Institute in Concord.
At the annual NHTI/Northeast Delta Dental 5k Road Race & Fun Run, Walton is the guy handing out prizes and making sure the kids' fun run is a wild success.
Walton, a former physical education and health instructor in the Concord school district, will be among the honorees at the New Hampshire Union Leader's annual sports banquet, The Leaders: A Celebration of New Hampshire Sports Champions. The event is set for Sunday, Feb. 10, at noon at the Radisson-Manchester.
Walton will be surrounded by some of the state's most accomplished athletes, coaches and community leaders - and fit right in. He was nominated for the Lundholm Award by NHTI's director of athletics, Paul Hogan.
"Tom Walton will jump onto any movement to help others," Hogan said. "He lends his expertise and experience and energy to so many causes, big or small.
The Leaders, formerly known as the Parade of Champions, will also honor the 2012 Union Leader All-State high school athletes and coaches of the year, 12 BASC/Apple Therapy Athletes of the Month, and some of the state's all-time best coaches and officials. The Red Rolfe Male and Female Athletes of the Year also will be named.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three Fisher Cat hurlers combine to pitch shutout - 0
- Portland offense rips Fisher Cats - 0
- Fisher Cats walk off with win - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Portland's Michael Almanzar is the Comeback Kid - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Sea Dogs’ Vazquez showing all the tools - 0
- Walden sparkles as Fishers blank Sea Dogs - 0
- For Fisher Cats, here come the Sea Dogs - 0
- Fisher Cats win, then head home for Sea Dogs series - 0
- Fisher Cats lose again, despite Nolan's offense - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 0
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 1
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 2
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 0
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 0
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 0
- Derry marks a soldier's death - 0
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Memorial Day Observances 2013
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Moving Wall in Haverhill asks us to remember
Goffstown holds off on school borrowing
For the people: A century of the NH primary
Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840