No job too big for Hopkinton's Tom Walton
A longtime youth coach in several sports, Walton co-founded the Capital Area Race Series in 2005 and served as a volunteer to build and coach the men's and women's cross country programs at New Hampshire Technical Institute in Concord.
At the annual NHTI/Northeast Delta Dental 5k Road Race & Fun Run, Walton is the guy handing out prizes and making sure the kids' fun run is a wild success.
Walton, a former physical education and health instructor in the Concord school district, will be among the honorees at the New Hampshire Union Leader's annual sports banquet, The Leaders: A Celebration of New Hampshire Sports Champions. The event is set for Sunday, Feb. 10, at noon at the Radisson-Manchester.
Walton will be surrounded by some of the state's most accomplished athletes, coaches and community leaders - and fit right in. He was nominated for the Lundholm Award by NHTI's director of athletics, Paul Hogan.
"Tom Walton will jump onto any movement to help others," Hogan said. "He lends his expertise and experience and energy to so many causes, big or small.
The Leaders, formerly known as the Parade of Champions, will also honor the 2012 Union Leader All-State high school athletes and coaches of the year, 12 BASC/Apple Therapy Athletes of the Month, and some of the state's all-time best coaches and officials. The Red Rolfe Male and Female Athletes of the Year also will be named.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Stonyfield founder tells FPU grads to ask, 'Why not?' - 0
- Tiny Thomas More College class urged to be courageous - 0
- Lebanon College graduates 19 - 0
- Plymouth State speaker tells grads to 'Become agents of change' - 0
- Former FBI head tells St. Anselm graduates it is important to give back - 1
- UNH commencement speaker tells graduates: Don't worry about mistakes, learn from them - 2
- Ayotte tells NEC graduates to be passionate about their work - 1
- Antioch University awards 145 degrees - 0
- Message to Nashua Community College grads: find strength - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH College Notebook: Honors keep coming for several Granite State athletes - 0
- Another View -- Glenn Normandeau: Protecting endangered non-game species a NH success story - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: Inventors, beware of PGL -- Paranoia, greed and laziness - 0
- Marine think tank to move to former Great Bay campus - 0
- Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Vending machines go natural - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Lots to love about NH road race/triathlon scene - 0
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840