No job too big for Hopkinton's Tom Walton
A longtime youth coach in several sports, Walton co-founded the Capital Area Race Series in 2005 and served as a volunteer to build and coach the men's and women's cross country programs at New Hampshire Technical Institute in Concord.
At the annual NHTI/Northeast Delta Dental 5k Road Race & Fun Run, Walton is the guy handing out prizes and making sure the kids' fun run is a wild success.
Walton, a former physical education and health instructor in the Concord school district, will be among the honorees at the New Hampshire Union Leader's annual sports banquet, The Leaders: A Celebration of New Hampshire Sports Champions. The event is set for Sunday, Feb. 10, at noon at the Radisson-Manchester.
Walton will be surrounded by some of the state's most accomplished athletes, coaches and community leaders - and fit right in. He was nominated for the Lundholm Award by NHTI's director of athletics, Paul Hogan.
"Tom Walton will jump onto any movement to help others," Hogan said. "He lends his expertise and experience and energy to so many causes, big or small.
The Leaders, formerly known as the Parade of Champions, will also honor the 2012 Union Leader All-State high school athletes and coaches of the year, 12 BASC/Apple Therapy Athletes of the Month, and some of the state's all-time best coaches and officials. The Red Rolfe Male and Female Athletes of the Year also will be named.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Warwick Mills scores $94.3 million contract from Army for body armor - 0
- Senate OKs medical pot, with plenty of restrictions - 0
- Rangers win in overtime, stay alive for Game 5 - 0
- Hanefeld shoots 74 at Senior PGA - 0
- Bishop Libasci to ordain 2 at St. Joseph Cathedral - 0
- Price tag to restore chimney about $1m - 0
- Officials disallow Woodmont slide show - 0
- Officials question Nashua parking proposal - 0
- House bill lowers emissions cap to meet RGGI standards - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
State’s stand-your-ground law intact
Casino vote stirs emotions on both sides
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840