No job too big for Hopkinton's Tom Walton
A longtime youth coach in several sports, Walton co-founded the Capital Area Race Series in 2005 and served as a volunteer to build and coach the men's and women's cross country programs at New Hampshire Technical Institute in Concord.
At the annual NHTI/Northeast Delta Dental 5k Road Race & Fun Run, Walton is the guy handing out prizes and making sure the kids' fun run is a wild success.
Walton, a former physical education and health instructor in the Concord school district, will be among the honorees at the New Hampshire Union Leader's annual sports banquet, The Leaders: A Celebration of New Hampshire Sports Champions. The event is set for Sunday, Feb. 10, at noon at the Radisson-Manchester.
Walton will be surrounded by some of the state's most accomplished athletes, coaches and community leaders - and fit right in. He was nominated for the Lundholm Award by NHTI's director of athletics, Paul Hogan.
"Tom Walton will jump onto any movement to help others," Hogan said. "He lends his expertise and experience and energy to so many causes, big or small.
The Leaders, formerly known as the Parade of Champions, will also honor the 2012 Union Leader All-State high school athletes and coaches of the year, 12 BASC/Apple Therapy Athletes of the Month, and some of the state's all-time best coaches and officials. The Red Rolfe Male and Female Athletes of the Year also will be named.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Golf cart to make visits to veterans cemetery easier - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- Governor orders flags to fly at half-staff for Memorial Day - 1
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial replica wall on display - 0
- Public invited to Manchester VA Medical Center ceremony - 0
- Stand Up for Veterans open house highlights North Country needs - 1
- Currier offers free admission for military members and families on Memorial Day - 0
- Soldiers' names to be added to UNH war memorial - 0
- Kingston vets to march - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats, New Britain split - 0
- Ayotte praises first responders, veterans - 0
- Fremont man returned to face NH charges - 0
- Sons' overdoses spur father to share his story with others - 0
- Miller ready to spell, but doesn't want to go 'Dutch' - 0
- Weather to slowly improve over long weekend - 0
- 4 arrested in investigation of heroin sales in Portsmouth - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Guertin girls net another win to make it 67 straight - 0
- Bruins eliminate Rangers to force conference final showdown with Pittsburgh - 0
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions
Memorial Day services, events around NH
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840