Home » News » Public Safety
Portsmouth condominium blaze now five alarms
A five alarm fire was burning at Harbour Place Condominums in Portsmouth on Friday. (GRETYL MACALASTER/Union Leader Correspondent)
Heavy smoke billowed and flames burst from the roof, which had partially collapsed by about 8 p.m.
Crews were called out to Harbour Place Condominiums at 135 Bow Street shortly before 7 p.m. for reports of a chimney fire that spread into the ceiling.
By about 9 p.m., the fire had been contained to the roof and the third floor, but was not under control, Portsmouth Fire Chief Chris LeClaire said.
Fire crews were fighting the fire from the roof and the third floor of the building. Additional crews were conducting salvage operations on the first and second floor, LeClaire said shortly before 9 p.m.
Two buildings between Bow Street and the condo building made access challenging for crews.
All of the residents were evacuated and no injuries were reported as a result of the fire, LeClaire said.
One woman walking near the scene was injured when she slipped on ice formed by water flowing from the many hoses on scene. Crews dispersed sand onto the ice around the scene throughout the night to keep crews and bystanders in the area safe.
The fire went to five alarms and crews from multiple communities including Dover, Rochester, Newington, Greenland, North Hampton, Hampton, New Castle, Kittery, Maine and York, Maine were on scene to provide extra manpower and support.
A man who said he was familiar with the building said all of the residents had found other accommodations for the night. LeClaire said the American Red Cross had not been called in because he had not received an indication of need.
According to city records, the building was constructed in 1987 and houses 18 condominiums each valued at over $500,000.
Multiple downtown streets have been closed as a result of the fire, including State Street from Pleasant Street, the top of Daniel Street and Bow Street.
A scheduled performance of the Vagina Monologues was cancelled at the Seacoast Repertory Theatre because of the theater's proximity to the blaze.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Missing since October, Abby Hernandez is home - 5
- Keene police continue pedestrian collision investigation - 0
- State bomb squad explodes suspicious package in Salem parking lot - 0
- Bodies of downed plane's passengers leave Ukraine crash site for return to Netherlands - 0
- 30-year-old man found dead in Laconia apartment - 0
- AG: Missing Conway teen Abigail Hernandez reunited with family - 10
- Maine man hurt in ATV accident in northern NH - 0
- Police say North Country motor vehicle deaths down - 0
- Hiker rescued from Mount Washington - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 0
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
- Nashua settles suit over gas collection system - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's