Home » News » Public Safety
Portsmouth condominium blaze now five alarms
A five alarm fire was burning at Harbour Place Condominums in Portsmouth on Friday. (GRETYL MACALASTER/Union Leader Correspondent)
Heavy smoke billowed and flames burst from the roof, which had partially collapsed by about 8 p.m.
Crews were called out to Harbour Place Condominiums at 135 Bow Street shortly before 7 p.m. for reports of a chimney fire that spread into the ceiling.
By about 9 p.m., the fire had been contained to the roof and the third floor, but was not under control, Portsmouth Fire Chief Chris LeClaire said.
Fire crews were fighting the fire from the roof and the third floor of the building. Additional crews were conducting salvage operations on the first and second floor, LeClaire said shortly before 9 p.m.
Two buildings between Bow Street and the condo building made access challenging for crews.
All of the residents were evacuated and no injuries were reported as a result of the fire, LeClaire said.
One woman walking near the scene was injured when she slipped on ice formed by water flowing from the many hoses on scene. Crews dispersed sand onto the ice around the scene throughout the night to keep crews and bystanders in the area safe.
The fire went to five alarms and crews from multiple communities including Dover, Rochester, Newington, Greenland, North Hampton, Hampton, New Castle, Kittery, Maine and York, Maine were on scene to provide extra manpower and support.
A man who said he was familiar with the building said all of the residents had found other accommodations for the night. LeClaire said the American Red Cross had not been called in because he had not received an indication of need.
According to city records, the building was constructed in 1987 and houses 18 condominiums each valued at over $500,000.
Multiple downtown streets have been closed as a result of the fire, including State Street from Pleasant Street, the top of Daniel Street and Bow Street.
A scheduled performance of the Vagina Monologues was cancelled at the Seacoast Repertory Theatre because of the theater's proximity to the blaze.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 3
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- These all-natural candles can double as massage oil - 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 19
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 6
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Human intervention hobbling ice fishermen
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'