Home » News » Public Safety
Portsmouth condominium blaze now five alarms
A five alarm fire was burning at Harbour Place Condominums in Portsmouth on Friday. (GRETYL MACALASTER/Union Leader Correspondent)
Heavy smoke billowed and flames burst from the roof, which had partially collapsed by about 8 p.m.
Crews were called out to Harbour Place Condominiums at 135 Bow Street shortly before 7 p.m. for reports of a chimney fire that spread into the ceiling.
By about 9 p.m., the fire had been contained to the roof and the third floor, but was not under control, Portsmouth Fire Chief Chris LeClaire said.
Fire crews were fighting the fire from the roof and the third floor of the building. Additional crews were conducting salvage operations on the first and second floor, LeClaire said shortly before 9 p.m.
Two buildings between Bow Street and the condo building made access challenging for crews.
All of the residents were evacuated and no injuries were reported as a result of the fire, LeClaire said.
One woman walking near the scene was injured when she slipped on ice formed by water flowing from the many hoses on scene. Crews dispersed sand onto the ice around the scene throughout the night to keep crews and bystanders in the area safe.
The fire went to five alarms and crews from multiple communities including Dover, Rochester, Newington, Greenland, North Hampton, Hampton, New Castle, Kittery, Maine and York, Maine were on scene to provide extra manpower and support.
A man who said he was familiar with the building said all of the residents had found other accommodations for the night. LeClaire said the American Red Cross had not been called in because he had not received an indication of need.
According to city records, the building was constructed in 1987 and houses 18 condominiums each valued at over $500,000.
Multiple downtown streets have been closed as a result of the fire, including State Street from Pleasant Street, the top of Daniel Street and Bow Street.
A scheduled performance of the Vagina Monologues was cancelled at the Seacoast Repertory Theatre because of the theater's proximity to the blaze.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinneRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 0
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Manchester Marathon day to draw about 1,700 runners - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Londonderry vs. Salem is a playoff contest - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 0
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 4
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 1
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 1
School's out for voters