Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics top Magic, 97-84, to win third straight
Paul Pierce had his third straight double-double with 14 points and 11 rebounds and Kevin Garnett added 14 and 10 boards as the Celtics sent Orlando to its eighth consecutive loss.
J.J. Redick scored 15 points and Nikola Vucevic added 14 and 14 rebounds for the injury-riddled Magic, who fell to 2-19 in their last 21 games and lost to Boston for the seventh straight time.
Orlando made one run at the Celtics, whittling an 11-point halftime deficit to three midway through the third quarter before Boston used an 11-2 burst to pull away and take a 72-59 lead into the final 12 minutes.
Green had six points in a 14-4 spurt to open the fourth and put the game out of reach. Courtney Lee also scored 14 points and Leandro Barbosa and Jason Terry added 12 apiece off the bench for the Celtics.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston absorbed another injury blow when rookie F Jared Sullinger underwent season-ending surgery Friday to repair a lumbar disk in his back. A back issue caused Sullinger to drop in last year's draft. ... Magic PG Jameer Nelson suffered a left forearm contusion in the second quarter and did not return. ... Orlando leading scorer Arron Afflalo (calf) sat out his third straight game. F Glen Davis fractured his left foot in Wednesday's game against New York and is expected to miss eight to 12 weeks.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Clippers, Celtics resume talks on Doc, Garnett deal - 0
- NBA Finals: Big Three power Heat to series-tying win over Spurs - 0
- Heat turn 33-5 run into Game 2 win - 0
- James' triple-double not enough as Spurs win Finals opener - 0
- Celtics' impobable rally falls short as Knicks take series - 0
- Celtics remain alive with win over Knicks - 0
- Celtics' objective against Knicks: Make it to Friday - 0
- Celtics beat Knicks in OT, force Game 5 - 0
- Knicks push Celtics to the brink - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Russian national indicted over phony debit, credit cards - 0
- Road to Recovery helps America's heroes - 0
- Valenti Modified Series back at it - 0
- Seabrook scores in OT to give Blackhawks win, series tie - 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 31
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
House and Senate reach budget accord
Manipulating NH: Bloomberg and the terrorist
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off