Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics top Magic, 97-84, to win third straight
Paul Pierce had his third straight double-double with 14 points and 11 rebounds and Kevin Garnett added 14 and 10 boards as the Celtics sent Orlando to its eighth consecutive loss.
J.J. Redick scored 15 points and Nikola Vucevic added 14 and 14 rebounds for the injury-riddled Magic, who fell to 2-19 in their last 21 games and lost to Boston for the seventh straight time.
Orlando made one run at the Celtics, whittling an 11-point halftime deficit to three midway through the third quarter before Boston used an 11-2 burst to pull away and take a 72-59 lead into the final 12 minutes.
Green had six points in a 14-4 spurt to open the fourth and put the game out of reach. Courtney Lee also scored 14 points and Leandro Barbosa and Jason Terry added 12 apiece off the bench for the Celtics.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston absorbed another injury blow when rookie F Jared Sullinger underwent season-ending surgery Friday to repair a lumbar disk in his back. A back issue caused Sullinger to drop in last year's draft. ... Magic PG Jameer Nelson suffered a left forearm contusion in the second quarter and did not return. ... Orlando leading scorer Arron Afflalo (calf) sat out his third straight game. F Glen Davis fractured his left foot in Wednesday's game against New York and is expected to miss eight to 12 weeks.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Girls' Basketball: Title defenders are also contenders - 0
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
- Ex-Littleton man sentenced to prison for DWI crash - 0
- Greenfield planners seek input on Heritage District plan proposal - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings