Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics top Magic, 97-84, to win third straight
Paul Pierce had his third straight double-double with 14 points and 11 rebounds and Kevin Garnett added 14 and 10 boards as the Celtics sent Orlando to its eighth consecutive loss.
J.J. Redick scored 15 points and Nikola Vucevic added 14 and 14 rebounds for the injury-riddled Magic, who fell to 2-19 in their last 21 games and lost to Boston for the seventh straight time.
Orlando made one run at the Celtics, whittling an 11-point halftime deficit to three midway through the third quarter before Boston used an 11-2 burst to pull away and take a 72-59 lead into the final 12 minutes.
Green had six points in a 14-4 spurt to open the fourth and put the game out of reach. Courtney Lee also scored 14 points and Leandro Barbosa and Jason Terry added 12 apiece off the bench for the Celtics.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston absorbed another injury blow when rookie F Jared Sullinger underwent season-ending surgery Friday to repair a lumbar disk in his back. A back issue caused Sullinger to drop in last year's draft. ... Magic PG Jameer Nelson suffered a left forearm contusion in the second quarter and did not return. ... Orlando leading scorer Arron Afflalo (calf) sat out his third straight game. F Glen Davis fractured his left foot in Wednesday's game against New York and is expected to miss eight to 12 weeks.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Since Day 1, a focus on excellence for Penmen - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Once more, with even more feeling - 0
- NH College Roundup: Dartmouth basketball team rips Maine - 0
- Dartmouth hockey team tops Harvard for first victory - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Defense drives Wildcats' bus -- all the way to Orono - 1
- Men's Hockey: DeSmith posts shutout as Wildcats sweep Colorado College - 0
- College Football: Complete victory sees UNH move on in FCS playoffs - 1
- College Sports Roundup: SNHU falls in PAL/Stovepipe hockey play - 0
- NH College Notebook: Six SNHU men's soccer players named to All-East Region team - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 3
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 1
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 2
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 9
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
Nashua hero up for Carnegie award
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Scott Brown still weighing options