Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics top Magic, 97-84, to win third straight
Paul Pierce had his third straight double-double with 14 points and 11 rebounds and Kevin Garnett added 14 and 10 boards as the Celtics sent Orlando to its eighth consecutive loss.
J.J. Redick scored 15 points and Nikola Vucevic added 14 and 14 rebounds for the injury-riddled Magic, who fell to 2-19 in their last 21 games and lost to Boston for the seventh straight time.
Orlando made one run at the Celtics, whittling an 11-point halftime deficit to three midway through the third quarter before Boston used an 11-2 burst to pull away and take a 72-59 lead into the final 12 minutes.
Green had six points in a 14-4 spurt to open the fourth and put the game out of reach. Courtney Lee also scored 14 points and Leandro Barbosa and Jason Terry added 12 apiece off the bench for the Celtics.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston absorbed another injury blow when rookie F Jared Sullinger underwent season-ending surgery Friday to repair a lumbar disk in his back. A back issue caused Sullinger to drop in last year's draft. ... Magic PG Jameer Nelson suffered a left forearm contusion in the second quarter and did not return. ... Orlando leading scorer Arron Afflalo (calf) sat out his third straight game. F Glen Davis fractured his left foot in Wednesday's game against New York and is expected to miss eight to 12 weeks.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry blanks Exeter for third shutout in a row - 0
- NHIAA Division I baseball tourney picture about to become clear - 1
- NHIAA Tennis: Bedford is championship-focused - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Hanover's Cravero hurls another no-hitter - 0
- Memorial boys take city track meet for 10th straight year - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Pinkerton beats Trinity in key game - 0
- Kevin Gray's H.S. Lacrosse: It's not easy facing West - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Trinity's Currier stops Nashua North - 0
- Campbell nine edges Hopkinton - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 0
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 1
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 2
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 0
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 0
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 0
- Derry marks a soldier's death - 0
Memorial Day Observances 2013
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Goffstown holds off on school borrowing
For the people: A century of the NH primary
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs