Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Belmont voters take little time to add money for rescue boat
"It was the quickest town meeting I have ever been associated with," said Selectman Ronald Cormier Jr., who has been a selectmen in town for nine years.
On the proposed budget, Article 7 asked voters to approve $10,000 for the purchase of a rescue and fire suppression boat, with the money to come from the town's Fire/Ambulance Equipment and Apparatus Special Revenue Fund. The town isn't sure yet if it will buy a new or used boat, Cormier said.
The budget committee had recommended $10,000 for the boat, but the selectmen had recommended $25,000.
Voters chose to amend the article to the $25,000 figure.
"There was some discussion and the people felt they needed more for the boat," Cormier said.
Article 4, which would raise $355,000 to replace 3,750 feet of water line within Belmont Village, did not draw much discussion. The town hopes that all of the project's costs would be paid for by a government Community Development Block Grant Program.
Also going without much discussion was Article 6, which asks voters to approve $180,000 for a new fire department ambulance, with the funds to come from the Fire/Ambulance Equipment and Apparatus Special Revenue Fund.
The new ambulance would replace two town ambulances, both of which will be used as trade-ins or sold outright to help pay for the new ambulance.
Voting will take place on March 12 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Belmont High School.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
DWI License Revocations