Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Belmont voters take little time to add money for rescue boat
"It was the quickest town meeting I have ever been associated with," said Selectman Ronald Cormier Jr., who has been a selectmen in town for nine years.
On the proposed budget, Article 7 asked voters to approve $10,000 for the purchase of a rescue and fire suppression boat, with the money to come from the town's Fire/Ambulance Equipment and Apparatus Special Revenue Fund. The town isn't sure yet if it will buy a new or used boat, Cormier said.
The budget committee had recommended $10,000 for the boat, but the selectmen had recommended $25,000.
Voters chose to amend the article to the $25,000 figure.
"There was some discussion and the people felt they needed more for the boat," Cormier said.
Article 4, which would raise $355,000 to replace 3,750 feet of water line within Belmont Village, did not draw much discussion. The town hopes that all of the project's costs would be paid for by a government Community Development Block Grant Program.
Also going without much discussion was Article 6, which asks voters to approve $180,000 for a new fire department ambulance, with the funds to come from the Fire/Ambulance Equipment and Apparatus Special Revenue Fund.
The new ambulance would replace two town ambulances, both of which will be used as trade-ins or sold outright to help pay for the new ambulance.
Voting will take place on March 12 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Belmont High School.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sanbornton voters add money back into budget - 0
- Sanbornton voters say no to SB 2 - 0
- Old building, new roads on Peterborough warrant - 0
- Sanbornton to vote again on SB2 - 0
- Employee pay, dump trucks key Sanbornton warrant - 0
- Proposed New London budget shows 3 percent increase - 0
- Conway voters ok school budget, but reject teacher's contract - 0
- Ortega, Barnes reelected to Merrimack School Board - 0
- Merrimack polls open today - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 0
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 12
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
- Londonderry emergency shelter will now be open to pets - 0
- Derry school district continues to push its high-achieving students - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time