Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Belmont voters take little time to add money for rescue boat
"It was the quickest town meeting I have ever been associated with," said Selectman Ronald Cormier Jr., who has been a selectmen in town for nine years.
On the proposed budget, Article 7 asked voters to approve $10,000 for the purchase of a rescue and fire suppression boat, with the money to come from the town's Fire/Ambulance Equipment and Apparatus Special Revenue Fund. The town isn't sure yet if it will buy a new or used boat, Cormier said.
The budget committee had recommended $10,000 for the boat, but the selectmen had recommended $25,000.
Voters chose to amend the article to the $25,000 figure.
"There was some discussion and the people felt they needed more for the boat," Cormier said.
Article 4, which would raise $355,000 to replace 3,750 feet of water line within Belmont Village, did not draw much discussion. The town hopes that all of the project's costs would be paid for by a government Community Development Block Grant Program.
Also going without much discussion was Article 6, which asks voters to approve $180,000 for a new fire department ambulance, with the funds to come from the Fire/Ambulance Equipment and Apparatus Special Revenue Fund.
The new ambulance would replace two town ambulances, both of which will be used as trade-ins or sold outright to help pay for the new ambulance.
Voting will take place on March 12 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Belmont High School.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Since Day 1, a focus on excellence for Penmen - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Once more, with even more feeling - 0
- NH College Roundup: Dartmouth basketball team rips Maine - 0
- Dartmouth hockey team tops Harvard for first victory - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Defense drives Wildcats' bus -- all the way to Orono - 1
- Men's Hockey: DeSmith posts shutout as Wildcats sweep Colorado College - 0
- College Football: Complete victory sees UNH move on in FCS playoffs - 1
- College Sports Roundup: SNHU falls in PAL/Stovepipe hockey play - 0
- NH College Notebook: Six SNHU men's soccer players named to All-East Region team - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 1
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 3
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
Nashua hero up for Carnegie award
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Scott Brown still weighing options