Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Newfound voters question tax cap move for school district
There were no amendments made to the budget.
Most of the discussion focused on a petitioned warrant article proposing that the district rescind the 2 percent tax cap that voters approved last March. The cap needed 60 percent of the vote to pass last year and received 60.5 percent from the voters.
Article 6 would also need 60 percent approval to pass this year. Residents were mostly curious about how a tax cap rescission would work, said Business Administrator Dan Rossner.
"It will be interesting to see if there will be enough support to go past 60 percent this year," Rossner said.
Also on the warrant is Article 2, a new teacher contract agreement that would cost the district $56,793.
Another article asks if the district would hold a special meeting if Article 2 fails.
Rossner said there was confusion expressed over the wording of the budget authorization article, which specifies a default budget amount of $22.07 million – the amount of last year's budget – in case the proposed budget fails. The default budget ensures the district will receive funding, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi: The senators who really threaten America - 1
- Your Turn, NH -- Ted Menswar Jr.: How Manchester pulled together to honor one of its greats - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Is the Islamic State really un-Islamic? - 1
- George Will: Scotland's epic vote - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: Obama's uncertain trumpet, again - 0
- Maureen McDonald: Ray Rice and the everyday problem of domestic violence - 1
- Another View -- Jason Bedrick: An important court victory for parents and taxpayers - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Mob rule economics is bad for everyone - 8
- George Will: Eviscerating the 1st Amendment is extremism - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
DWI license revocations
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua