Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Newfound voters question tax cap move for school district
There were no amendments made to the budget.
Most of the discussion focused on a petitioned warrant article proposing that the district rescind the 2 percent tax cap that voters approved last March. The cap needed 60 percent of the vote to pass last year and received 60.5 percent from the voters.
Article 6 would also need 60 percent approval to pass this year. Residents were mostly curious about how a tax cap rescission would work, said Business Administrator Dan Rossner.
"It will be interesting to see if there will be enough support to go past 60 percent this year," Rossner said.
Also on the warrant is Article 2, a new teacher contract agreement that would cost the district $56,793.
Another article asks if the district would hold a special meeting if Article 2 fails.
Rossner said there was confusion expressed over the wording of the budget authorization article, which specifies a default budget amount of $22.07 million – the amount of last year's budget – in case the proposed budget fails. The default budget ensures the district will receive funding, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition at Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 in Rochester - 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 3
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 4
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over