Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Newfound voters question tax cap move for school district
There were no amendments made to the budget.
Most of the discussion focused on a petitioned warrant article proposing that the district rescind the 2 percent tax cap that voters approved last March. The cap needed 60 percent of the vote to pass last year and received 60.5 percent from the voters.
Article 6 would also need 60 percent approval to pass this year. Residents were mostly curious about how a tax cap rescission would work, said Business Administrator Dan Rossner.
"It will be interesting to see if there will be enough support to go past 60 percent this year," Rossner said.
Also on the warrant is Article 2, a new teacher contract agreement that would cost the district $56,793.
Another article asks if the district would hold a special meeting if Article 2 fails.
Rossner said there was confusion expressed over the wording of the budget authorization article, which specifies a default budget amount of $22.07 million – the amount of last year's budget – in case the proposed budget fails. The default budget ensures the district will receive funding, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone - 0
- John Habib's High School Track: North boys loom as favorites in Division I meet - 0
- Londonderry blanks Exeter for third shutout in a row - 0
- NHIAA Division I baseball tourney picture about to become clear - 1
- NHIAA Tennis: Bedford is championship-focused - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Hanover's Cravero hurls another no-hitter - 0
- Memorial boys take city track meet for 10th straight year - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Pinkerton beats Trinity in key game - 0
- Kevin Gray's H.S. Lacrosse: It's not easy facing West - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 0
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Last-minute lobbying frantic as House prepares for casino vote - 1
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 3
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 1
- Police seek man they say passed counterfeit bill at Manchester mall - 1
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- For now, no more breakfasts in Manchester's Veterans Park - 11
License revocations for DWI announced
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs