Home » News » Public Safety
Bus crashes into Boston overpass, 33 people hurt
The crash happened about 7:30 p.m. on Soldiers Field Road in Boston, according to Boston Emergency Medical Services spokeswoman Jennifer Mehigan.
Medical workers took 33 people to four area hospitals - 28 with minor injuries and five with serious injuries, Mehigan said. Some people had to be removed through the bus roof and strapped onto backboards, according to the Boston Fire Department's Twitter feed.
"A number of patients were trapped at some point during the incident," said Mehigan.
All of the victims had been removed from the bus by about 9:30 p.m. She said the fire department had to remove part of the roof of the private Calvary Coach charter bus to perform the rescues.
The bus was carrying high school students and adult chaperones from the Philadelphia area, according to Massachusetts State Police. The students had been in the Boston area to visit Harvard.
Authorities are investigating whether charges are warranted in crash. The bus driver was believed to have missed a sign prohibiting the bus from that road, according to state police.
READER COMMENTS: 65
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
- Danville police chief pleads not guilty in firearms case - 1
READER COMMENTS: 24
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 3
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 0
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 2
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 3
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time