Home » News » Public Safety
Bus crashes into Boston overpass, 33 people hurt
The crash happened about 7:30 p.m. on Soldiers Field Road in Boston, according to Boston Emergency Medical Services spokeswoman Jennifer Mehigan.
Medical workers took 33 people to four area hospitals - 28 with minor injuries and five with serious injuries, Mehigan said. Some people had to be removed through the bus roof and strapped onto backboards, according to the Boston Fire Department's Twitter feed.
"A number of patients were trapped at some point during the incident," said Mehigan.
All of the victims had been removed from the bus by about 9:30 p.m. She said the fire department had to remove part of the roof of the private Calvary Coach charter bus to perform the rescues.
The bus was carrying high school students and adult chaperones from the Philadelphia area, according to Massachusetts State Police. The students had been in the Boston area to visit Harvard.
Authorities are investigating whether charges are warranted in crash. The bus driver was believed to have missed a sign prohibiting the bus from that road, according to state police.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police honor their own for dedicated service - 0
- Damage from water main break closes portion of Allds Street in Nashua - 0
- Former UNH police chief remembered as 'amazing leader' - 0
- Pinkerton warns community of person soliciting students - 0
- Oil tanker strikes Memorial Bridge early Friday - 1
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Water main break in downtown Nashua - 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 6
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 1
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief