Home » News » Public Safety
Bus crashes into Boston overpass, 33 people hurt
The crash happened about 7:30 p.m. on Soldiers Field Road in Boston, according to Boston Emergency Medical Services spokeswoman Jennifer Mehigan.
Medical workers took 33 people to four area hospitals - 28 with minor injuries and five with serious injuries, Mehigan said. Some people had to be removed through the bus roof and strapped onto backboards, according to the Boston Fire Department's Twitter feed.
"A number of patients were trapped at some point during the incident," said Mehigan.
All of the victims had been removed from the bus by about 9:30 p.m. She said the fire department had to remove part of the roof of the private Calvary Coach charter bus to perform the rescues.
The bus was carrying high school students and adult chaperones from the Philadelphia area, according to Massachusetts State Police. The students had been in the Boston area to visit Harvard.
Authorities are investigating whether charges are warranted in crash. The bus driver was believed to have missed a sign prohibiting the bus from that road, according to state police.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Man pulled from Barnstead pickup truck wreck with serious head injury - 0
- Fish and Game says Gilford bear shooting was proper - 3
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 7
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats, New Britain split - 0
- Ayotte praises first responders, veterans - 0
- Fremont man returned to face NH charges - 0
- Portsmouth Naval Shipyard holds change of command ceremony - 0
- Sons' overdoses spur father to share his story with others - 0
- Miller ready to spell, but doesn't want to go 'Dutch' - 0
- Weather to slowly improve over long weekend - 0
- 4 arrested in investigation of heroin sales in Portsmouth - 0
- Golf cart to make visits to veterans cemetery easier - 0
Fremont man returned to face NH charges
Fireworks, parade slated in Manchester
State puts out call for foster parents
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 25, 2013