Home » News » Public Safety
Firefighter, police officer hurt saving historic home, but barn destroyed
"It was a hell of a save," Durham Fire Chief Corey Landry said.
Firefighters from more than a dozen communities - including many who fought a fire in Portsmouth only hours before - protected the historic home at 4 Smith Park Lane. The fire destroyed a barn and a large breezeway or addition connected to the home, the chief said.
Landry said a police officer suffered a leg muscle injury that could keep him out of work for weeks.
A firefighter slipped and fell, suffering a back injury and a concussion.
"I think the helmet saved him," said Landry, who expects the firefighter back to work by midweek.
The injured were taken to the hospital and later released.
Landry said one wall of the home was damaged. Landry didn't have a dollar estimate for the damage. He said antiques were stored in the barn, but wasn't aware of any animals that lived there.
Durham firefighters were at another fire scene at 20 Main St., when the call came in about 3:30 p.m. for the barn fire. Firefighters heard exploding propane tanks in the barn, which collapsed in the fire.
The state Fire Marshal's Office and local authorities were working to determine the fire's cause.
The Durham Community Church opened its doors to provide bathrooms and warmth for emergency responders.
Durham and University of New Hampshire police helped with traffic and crowd control.
Fire apparatus and manpower from Dover, Lee, Madbury, Exeter, Portsmouth, Pease, Nottingham, North Hampton, Stratham, Newington, Somersworth, Rochester, Newmarket, Barrington and Rollinsford. South Berwick, Maine, helped with station coverage.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name