Home » News » Public Safety
Firefighter, police officer hurt saving historic home, but barn destroyed
"It was a hell of a save," Durham Fire Chief Corey Landry said.
Firefighters from more than a dozen communities - including many who fought a fire in Portsmouth only hours before - protected the historic home at 4 Smith Park Lane. The fire destroyed a barn and a large breezeway or addition connected to the home, the chief said.
Landry said a police officer suffered a leg muscle injury that could keep him out of work for weeks.
A firefighter slipped and fell, suffering a back injury and a concussion.
"I think the helmet saved him," said Landry, who expects the firefighter back to work by midweek.
The injured were taken to the hospital and later released.
Landry said one wall of the home was damaged. Landry didn't have a dollar estimate for the damage. He said antiques were stored in the barn, but wasn't aware of any animals that lived there.
Durham firefighters were at another fire scene at 20 Main St., when the call came in about 3:30 p.m. for the barn fire. Firefighters heard exploding propane tanks in the barn, which collapsed in the fire.
The state Fire Marshal's Office and local authorities were working to determine the fire's cause.
The Durham Community Church opened its doors to provide bathrooms and warmth for emergency responders.
Durham and University of New Hampshire police helped with traffic and crowd control.
Fire apparatus and manpower from Dover, Lee, Madbury, Exeter, Portsmouth, Pease, Nottingham, North Hampton, Stratham, Newington, Somersworth, Rochester, Newmarket, Barrington and Rollinsford. South Berwick, Maine, helped with station coverage.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 1
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
- Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads - 0
- Three firefighters recovering after injuries in fast-moving Claremont house fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 0
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax
Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council