Home » Opinion » Editorials
Redistricting delays: Super Bowl day, and Manchester punts
That is most disappointing and the school board, which seemed eager to entrust the decision to Brennan, now finds the problem back in its lap. It needs to make some decisions. Will its members, up for election in the fall, be prepared to do so?
Brennan's conclusion was that the issues are too complicated to come up with a solid plan in short order. Wonderful. That was also the case last September. Now it is four months later and nothing, apparently, has been done.
The middle schools are out of balance, with McLaughlin particularly under-used. Meanwhile, Beech Street elementary is bursting at the seams, although the trailer classrooms have been temporarily shelved. Other schools are also out of balance. But no one, other than the mayor, seems to want to seize the issue and make some choices.
Yes, it may mean little Johnny doesn't go to the same school that his older sister attended. It may mean that a middle-schooler has to spend more time on a bus than did her sister. It may mean, as board member Sarah Ambrogi suggested last week, that people have to stop looking at the Merrimack River as some sort of insurmountable divide.
Since there is no money to build new schools (and since the need for elementary school space may ease as demographics change), the school district and taxpayers need to be practical. And they need to do it now.
READER COMMENTS: 15
- Leading vs. following: Ayotte, Shaheen and the polls - 23
- The cupcake police: Stop! In the name of lard! - 15
- Page One Editorial: Obama is right - 27
- Taxed tips: Another NH revenue grab - 9
- Gosnell and NH: The horror of late-term abortion - 8
- Bridging the night: Bright ideas in Portsmouth - 0
- Shameful: Obama's Benghazi dishonesty - 29
- Hassan’s stunt: Northern Pass and priorities - 15
- Student IDs: Not this again - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
- Lakes Region, Great Bay CC hold commencement ceremonies - 0
- UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice' - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- Stonyfield founder tells FPU grads to ask, 'Why not?' - 0
- NH troopers help Boston victims - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19
Lawyer says Northern Pass in 'a corner'