Londonderry High School Drama Club getting ready to cut loose
Teacher Valerie Psoinos, who serves as staff adviser for the school drama club, said some things are timeless.
"It's a story about teenagers and growing up," Psoinos said. "Which is something all of them can relate to."
Auditions for the school musical took place in November and more than 85 students vied for roles, according to Psoinos. Rehearsals were in full gear immediately following Thanksgiving and as of last week, student Katie Aramento was already strutting her stuff in the trademark red cowboy boots favored by one of the film's protagonists, Ariel, while Brandon Feliciano, who will play the role of her love interest, Ren, was working to perfect his roller-skating technique.
The play follows the story of Ren, the character originally played by a young Kevin Bacon, as he moves from the city to a small Southern town and falls in love with the local minister's daughter, Ariel (played by Lori Singer in the original film).
A rebellious teenager who dreams of one day leaving her hometown for bigger and better things, Ariel joins Ren in taking action against the town-wide dance ban - hopefully in time for prom season.
Psoinos said most of her teenage crew members are pretty familiar with the movie's 2011 remake.
"They've definitely done their research," she said.
Performances of "Footloose" are scheduled for Feb. 14, 15 and 16 at Adams Memorial Opera House in Derry. Show times are at 7 p.m. on Feb. 14 and 15, and at 2 and 7 p.m. on Feb. 16.
Tickets are $15 for adults and $10 for students, senior citizens and staff members. To reserve seats, call Londonderry High School at 432-6941.
Arts & Entertainment
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Here comes the sun' – Summer Season at the Casino Ballroom - 0
- Weekend Top 10 Planner - 0
- James 'Superharp' Cotton bring blues to Tupelo - 0
- Strawbery Banke Museum pays tribute to military past and present - 0
- Newmont Military Band conjures sights, sounds of earlier century - 0
- Trial lawyers recount Whitey Bulger case, 'Departed' film screened at Red Rivers - 0
- It's a bard-worthy ShakesBEERience - 0
- Hundreds of Monadnock Region students team with professional musicians - 0
- Dartmouth musicians tackle 'Mahler boot camp' - 0
Memorial Day events in New Hampshire
Weekend Top 10 Planner
New Hampshire Club News