Pond Hockey Classic draws crowds to Meredith
"We were champs for two years, that's pretty good," said Bill Neer of Moultonborough, a member of the Locals, as he watched the Broots Magoots receive their wooden cup trophy for winning the Just-for-Fun Under-35 Division championship, which the Magoots won, 7-5.
The Magoots had set their sights on winning after losing in the semifinals last year.
"It's sweet," said Magoot Nate Gagne of Manchester.
Winning the Just-for-Fun Over-35 Division, the Pylons of Chelmsford, Mass., defeated the Bulldogs of Sudbury, Mass. by a score of 5-4.
In the 40-plus Division, the Bumbles of Laconia defeated the Kings of the South Shore, Mass., by a score of 7-2.
In the 50-plus division, the Essex 73s of Nashua defeated T's Pub of Boston by a score of 6-4.
In the 30-Plus Division, the Frozen Hacks of Franklin, Mass., defeated the West Coast Blasters of Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, by a score of 9-6.
In the Open Division, the Ice Holes of Wakefield, Mass., won the trophy by defeating the Winnipesaukee Whalers of Meredith, 10-4.
In the Women's Division, the Eagles of Boston won the title, defeating Joe's Chicks of Laconia, 6-0.
Tournament organizer Scott Crowder said more teams will likely be added to the more than 200 that came to this year's tournament.
"From our perspective it was a great weekend being outside and playing hockey," Crowder said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone - 0
- Former mini-golf course to transform into botanical gardens - 0
- Flash mob stands as one in Manchester for campaign to end childhood homelessness - 0
- NH Club Briefs: Danbury Grange plans fair, 'Living Sustainably' session - 0
- Gov. Hassan signs ATV bills, opens new North Country connector trail - 0
- The band Live return this October with new album, 'The Turn' - 0
- 2014 marks the 20th year of AmeriCorps programs - 0
- Billy Idol will release 'Kings & Queens of the Underground' on October 21 - 0
- Exhibit serves as 'Witness' to Civil Rights Movement - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name