Pond Hockey Classic draws crowds to Meredith
"We were champs for two years, that's pretty good," said Bill Neer of Moultonborough, a member of the Locals, as he watched the Broots Magoots receive their wooden cup trophy for winning the Just-for-Fun Under-35 Division championship, which the Magoots won, 7-5.
The Magoots had set their sights on winning after losing in the semifinals last year.
"It's sweet," said Magoot Nate Gagne of Manchester.
Winning the Just-for-Fun Over-35 Division, the Pylons of Chelmsford, Mass., defeated the Bulldogs of Sudbury, Mass. by a score of 5-4.
In the 40-plus Division, the Bumbles of Laconia defeated the Kings of the South Shore, Mass., by a score of 7-2.
In the 50-plus division, the Essex 73s of Nashua defeated T's Pub of Boston by a score of 6-4.
In the 30-Plus Division, the Frozen Hacks of Franklin, Mass., defeated the West Coast Blasters of Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, by a score of 9-6.
In the Open Division, the Ice Holes of Wakefield, Mass., won the trophy by defeating the Winnipesaukee Whalers of Meredith, 10-4.
In the Women's Division, the Eagles of Boston won the title, defeating Joe's Chicks of Laconia, 6-0.
Tournament organizer Scott Crowder said more teams will likely be added to the more than 200 that came to this year's tournament.
"From our perspective it was a great weekend being outside and playing hockey," Crowder said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Preservation of 400 acres of land in Alexandria announced - 0
- Cher cancels rest of tour, including Manchester date - 0
- Thanksgiving travel to hit highest level since ‘07 - 0
- Trio of actresses take on comic tale of getting even - 0
- Roots-rock jam band hits the road to showcase tunes off its latest disc - 0
- Holiday Arts Show to showcase fifteen Seacoast artists - 0
- Livingston Taylor brings sunny outlook to NH with 'Blue Sky' - 0
- 'Experience' tribute to Hendrix by fellow ax master Jon Butcher - 0
- Manchester native, 'Voice' alum Josh Logan returns for hometown concert - 1
FEEDNH supports local nonprofits
King Obama: Creating a constitutional crisis
Obama to illegals: Come out of shadows
Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Will the past be prologue in the State House with 'O'Brien II?'
20141120-FairPoint warns of mobile picketing as union brings protest to customer doorsteps
Nashua man faces enhanced drug charges