Home » News » Only in Print
Pond Hockey Classic draws crowds to Meredith
"We were champs for two years, that's pretty good," said Bill Neer of Moultonborough, a member of the Locals, as he watched the Broots Magoots receive their wooden cup trophy for winning the Just-for-Fun Under-35 Division championship, which the Magoots won, 7-5.
The Magoots had set their sights on winning after losing in the semifinals last year.
"It's sweet," said Magoot Nate Gagne of Manchester.
Winning the Just-for-Fun Over-35 Division, the Pylons of Chelmsford, Mass., defeated the Bulldogs of Sudbury, Mass. by a score of 5-4.
In the 40-plus Division, the Bumbles of Laconia defeated the Kings of the South Shore, Mass., by a score of 7-2.
In the 50-plus division, the Essex 73s of Nashua defeated T's Pub of Boston by a score of 6-4.
In the 30-Plus Division, the Frozen Hacks of Franklin, Mass., defeated the West Coast Blasters of Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, by a score of 9-6.
In the Open Division, the Ice Holes of Wakefield, Mass., won the trophy by defeating the Winnipesaukee Whalers of Meredith, 10-4.
In the Women's Division, the Eagles of Boston won the title, defeating Joe's Chicks of Laconia, 6-0.
Tournament organizer Scott Crowder said more teams will likely be added to the more than 200 that came to this year's tournament.
"From our perspective it was a great weekend being outside and playing hockey," Crowder said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Community forum to address economic development trends - 0
- Windham to consider growth management ordinance - 0
- Hard cider, and revisiting an original - 0
- Atmosphere, value at the Riverworks - 0
- Land buy allows Devriendt Farm to expand, evolve - 0
- Mountain bikers ot just spinning their wheels - 0
- NH council seeks to honor top cultural life contributors with '40 Over 40' award - 0
- Littleton's Mt. Eustis Ski Hill to return - 0
- Enter to win tickets for Legend of Love Rebroadcast - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Ani DiFranco
Hard cider, and revisiting an original
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser
Weare police sergeant's firing rescinded
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance
State surplus isn't big enough