Pond Hockey Classic draws crowds to Meredith
"We were champs for two years, that's pretty good," said Bill Neer of Moultonborough, a member of the Locals, as he watched the Broots Magoots receive their wooden cup trophy for winning the Just-for-Fun Under-35 Division championship, which the Magoots won, 7-5.
The Magoots had set their sights on winning after losing in the semifinals last year.
"It's sweet," said Magoot Nate Gagne of Manchester.
Winning the Just-for-Fun Over-35 Division, the Pylons of Chelmsford, Mass., defeated the Bulldogs of Sudbury, Mass. by a score of 5-4.
In the 40-plus Division, the Bumbles of Laconia defeated the Kings of the South Shore, Mass., by a score of 7-2.
In the 50-plus division, the Essex 73s of Nashua defeated T's Pub of Boston by a score of 6-4.
In the 30-Plus Division, the Frozen Hacks of Franklin, Mass., defeated the West Coast Blasters of Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, by a score of 9-6.
In the Open Division, the Ice Holes of Wakefield, Mass., won the trophy by defeating the Winnipesaukee Whalers of Meredith, 10-4.
In the Women's Division, the Eagles of Boston won the title, defeating Joe's Chicks of Laconia, 6-0.
Tournament organizer Scott Crowder said more teams will likely be added to the more than 200 that came to this year's tournament.
"From our perspective it was a great weekend being outside and playing hockey," Crowder said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- League of NH Craftsmen's Fair opens with new event for hardcore collectors - 0
- Hooksett and Manchester take first step toward future high school deal - 0
- Boy Scouts to host Great North Woods Gathering - 0
- Club Notes: Italian club to present comedy/murder mystery - 0
- Salem selectmen sign off on having town property beautified by owner of adjacent property - 0
- Failure to properly number houses cited as issue in Salem E-911 report - 0
- Windham schools lay out 20-year capital improvement plan - 0
- Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride - 1
- Win tickets to see Kenny Wayne Shepherd - 0
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain
Win tickets to see Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'