Pond Hockey Classic draws crowds to Meredith
"We were champs for two years, that's pretty good," said Bill Neer of Moultonborough, a member of the Locals, as he watched the Broots Magoots receive their wooden cup trophy for winning the Just-for-Fun Under-35 Division championship, which the Magoots won, 7-5.
The Magoots had set their sights on winning after losing in the semifinals last year.
"It's sweet," said Magoot Nate Gagne of Manchester.
Winning the Just-for-Fun Over-35 Division, the Pylons of Chelmsford, Mass., defeated the Bulldogs of Sudbury, Mass. by a score of 5-4.
In the 40-plus Division, the Bumbles of Laconia defeated the Kings of the South Shore, Mass., by a score of 7-2.
In the 50-plus division, the Essex 73s of Nashua defeated T's Pub of Boston by a score of 6-4.
In the 30-Plus Division, the Frozen Hacks of Franklin, Mass., defeated the West Coast Blasters of Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, by a score of 9-6.
In the Open Division, the Ice Holes of Wakefield, Mass., won the trophy by defeating the Winnipesaukee Whalers of Meredith, 10-4.
In the Women's Division, the Eagles of Boston won the title, defeating Joe's Chicks of Laconia, 6-0.
Tournament organizer Scott Crowder said more teams will likely be added to the more than 200 that came to this year's tournament.
"From our perspective it was a great weekend being outside and playing hockey," Crowder said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- A Riesling from the South Coast of Mass. - 0
- Candia teen charged with burglarizing relative’s home - 0
- Attorney honored for work helping immigrants - 1
- New breakfast, lunch diner opens in Hooksett - 0
- Going on pothole patrol in Goffstown - 0
- Salem group continues push to raise money for bicycle path - 0
- Spring a busy time on the Londonderry Rail Trail - 0
- Fish & Game Issues Warning about Life-threatening Polar Plunge Trend - 0
- Hooksett officials move to correct election error - 0
New breakfast, lunch diner opens in Hooksett
Win tickets to see Comedian Mike Birbiglia!
Still a sweet spot in downtown Nashua
A Riesling from the South Coast of Mass.
Attorney honored for work helping immigrants
Shamrock count winners
Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH
Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior