Home » News » Business » Legacy Awards
Pond Hockey Classic draws crowds to Meredith
"We were champs for two years, that's pretty good," said Bill Neer of Moultonborough, a member of the Locals, as he watched the Broots Magoots receive their wooden cup trophy for winning the Just-for-Fun Under-35 Division championship, which the Magoots won, 7-5.
The Magoots had set their sights on winning after losing in the semifinals last year.
"It's sweet," said Magoot Nate Gagne of Manchester.
Winning the Just-for-Fun Over-35 Division, the Pylons of Chelmsford, Mass., defeated the Bulldogs of Sudbury, Mass. by a score of 5-4.
In the 40-plus Division, the Bumbles of Laconia defeated the Kings of the South Shore, Mass., by a score of 7-2.
In the 50-plus division, the Essex 73s of Nashua defeated T's Pub of Boston by a score of 6-4.
In the 30-Plus Division, the Frozen Hacks of Franklin, Mass., defeated the West Coast Blasters of Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, by a score of 9-6.
In the Open Division, the Ice Holes of Wakefield, Mass., won the trophy by defeating the Winnipesaukee Whalers of Meredith, 10-4.
In the Women's Division, the Eagles of Boston won the title, defeating Joe's Chicks of Laconia, 6-0.
Tournament organizer Scott Crowder said more teams will likely be added to the more than 200 that came to this year's tournament.
"From our perspective it was a great weekend being outside and playing hockey," Crowder said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Shawn Colvin heads to Flying Monkey - 0
- Northeastern Ballet Theatre bring Snow White to Wolfeboro - 0
- Foundation of Frank Lloyd Wright's life, architecture examined - 0
- Rani Arbo and Daisy Mayhem to play Grand View Inn in Jaffrey - 0
- Rowe's Lane Quartet to open chamber series - 0
- Travis Tritt to play the Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom - 0
- 'Stone Canvas' on display in Meredith - 0
- Rambling NE farmsteads subject of talk - 0
- Harpeth Rising will play the Shaskeen Pub - 0
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Win tickets to see Austin Mahone
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release
Ayotte calls again for FCC reform