Pond Hockey Classic draws crowds to Meredith
"We were champs for two years, that's pretty good," said Bill Neer of Moultonborough, a member of the Locals, as he watched the Broots Magoots receive their wooden cup trophy for winning the Just-for-Fun Under-35 Division championship, which the Magoots won, 7-5.
The Magoots had set their sights on winning after losing in the semifinals last year.
"It's sweet," said Magoot Nate Gagne of Manchester.
Winning the Just-for-Fun Over-35 Division, the Pylons of Chelmsford, Mass., defeated the Bulldogs of Sudbury, Mass. by a score of 5-4.
In the 40-plus Division, the Bumbles of Laconia defeated the Kings of the South Shore, Mass., by a score of 7-2.
In the 50-plus division, the Essex 73s of Nashua defeated T's Pub of Boston by a score of 6-4.
In the 30-Plus Division, the Frozen Hacks of Franklin, Mass., defeated the West Coast Blasters of Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, by a score of 9-6.
In the Open Division, the Ice Holes of Wakefield, Mass., won the trophy by defeating the Winnipesaukee Whalers of Meredith, 10-4.
In the Women's Division, the Eagles of Boston won the title, defeating Joe's Chicks of Laconia, 6-0.
Tournament organizer Scott Crowder said more teams will likely be added to the more than 200 that came to this year's tournament.
"From our perspective it was a great weekend being outside and playing hockey," Crowder said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- SNHU drama club presents parody of Brothers Grimm fairy tales - 0
- Granite State adds color to the holidays with tree-lighting events - 0
- (No heading) - 0
- Granite State dancers invite audiences into dreamland of sweets, adventure, magical creatures, holiday spirit - 0
- Judith Hill builds on tours with Michael Jackson, Josh Groban with solo projects - 0
- The Keiser Concert Series of St. Paul's School presents the Choir of Clare College, Cambridge, UK - 0
- Wildlife Action Grants Available - 0
- The Wooten Brothers Bring the Funk to Plymouth - 0
- Picker Building artists find solitude stifling - 0
Win tickets to see Monster Jam
Bedford Village Inn plans to add new hotel
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up