Pond Hockey Classic draws crowds to Meredith
"We were champs for two years, that's pretty good," said Bill Neer of Moultonborough, a member of the Locals, as he watched the Broots Magoots receive their wooden cup trophy for winning the Just-for-Fun Under-35 Division championship, which the Magoots won, 7-5.
The Magoots had set their sights on winning after losing in the semifinals last year.
"It's sweet," said Magoot Nate Gagne of Manchester.
Winning the Just-for-Fun Over-35 Division, the Pylons of Chelmsford, Mass., defeated the Bulldogs of Sudbury, Mass. by a score of 5-4.
In the 40-plus Division, the Bumbles of Laconia defeated the Kings of the South Shore, Mass., by a score of 7-2.
In the 50-plus division, the Essex 73s of Nashua defeated T's Pub of Boston by a score of 6-4.
In the 30-Plus Division, the Frozen Hacks of Franklin, Mass., defeated the West Coast Blasters of Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, by a score of 9-6.
In the Open Division, the Ice Holes of Wakefield, Mass., won the trophy by defeating the Winnipesaukee Whalers of Meredith, 10-4.
In the Women's Division, the Eagles of Boston won the title, defeating Joe's Chicks of Laconia, 6-0.
Tournament organizer Scott Crowder said more teams will likely be added to the more than 200 that came to this year's tournament.
"From our perspective it was a great weekend being outside and playing hockey," Crowder said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hooksett officials move to correct election error - 0
- Big deal in Goffstown over 'Stuart Little' - 0
- Hess seeks OK for store, gas station in Bedford - 0
- Salem students transform into historical characters - 0
- Renovation work continues at Salem elementary schools - 0
- AMC ready for start of 2014 season in NH's outdoors - 0
- Susan Dromey Heeter's Down to Earth: There's fun to be had in cleaning up after a tough winter - 0
- NH Easter Egg Hunts 2014 - 0
- Route 101 improvements are on track in Bedford - 0
Win tickets to see Comedian Mike Birbiglia!
Big deal in Goffstown over 'Stuart Little'
Shamrock count winners
NH Easter Egg Hunts 2014
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers