Pond Hockey Classic draws crowds to Meredith
"We were champs for two years, that's pretty good," said Bill Neer of Moultonborough, a member of the Locals, as he watched the Broots Magoots receive their wooden cup trophy for winning the Just-for-Fun Under-35 Division championship, which the Magoots won, 7-5.
The Magoots had set their sights on winning after losing in the semifinals last year.
"It's sweet," said Magoot Nate Gagne of Manchester.
Winning the Just-for-Fun Over-35 Division, the Pylons of Chelmsford, Mass., defeated the Bulldogs of Sudbury, Mass. by a score of 5-4.
In the 40-plus Division, the Bumbles of Laconia defeated the Kings of the South Shore, Mass., by a score of 7-2.
In the 50-plus division, the Essex 73s of Nashua defeated T's Pub of Boston by a score of 6-4.
In the 30-Plus Division, the Frozen Hacks of Franklin, Mass., defeated the West Coast Blasters of Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, by a score of 9-6.
In the Open Division, the Ice Holes of Wakefield, Mass., won the trophy by defeating the Winnipesaukee Whalers of Meredith, 10-4.
In the Women's Division, the Eagles of Boston won the title, defeating Joe's Chicks of Laconia, 6-0.
Tournament organizer Scott Crowder said more teams will likely be added to the more than 200 that came to this year's tournament.
"From our perspective it was a great weekend being outside and playing hockey," Crowder said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Becky Rule to tell tales at the Corner House Inn - 0
- Pianist Sergei Novikov talks about heart of performance - 0
- Kimberly Anderson Ritchie, Rock Tripe Lichen, Installation: silkscreen and monoprint on maps - 0
- Comedienne Paula Poundstone Brings Laughter to Plymouth - 0
- Rockingham Community Action brightening holidays for needy - 0
- Good news for residents near former wastewater plant - 0
- Windham club brings Christmas cheer to vets - 0
- Candlelight memorial in Keene for the homeless - 0
- Keene shelter joins in homeless vigil on Sunday - 0
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
Kimberly Anderson Ritchie, Rock Tripe Lichen, Installation: silkscreen and monoprint on maps
Enter to win tickets to see Arc Isis
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Police arrest pair after bullets fly