Pond Hockey Classic draws crowds to Meredith
"We were champs for two years, that's pretty good," said Bill Neer of Moultonborough, a member of the Locals, as he watched the Broots Magoots receive their wooden cup trophy for winning the Just-for-Fun Under-35 Division championship, which the Magoots won, 7-5.
The Magoots had set their sights on winning after losing in the semifinals last year.
"It's sweet," said Magoot Nate Gagne of Manchester.
Winning the Just-for-Fun Over-35 Division, the Pylons of Chelmsford, Mass., defeated the Bulldogs of Sudbury, Mass. by a score of 5-4.
In the 40-plus Division, the Bumbles of Laconia defeated the Kings of the South Shore, Mass., by a score of 7-2.
In the 50-plus division, the Essex 73s of Nashua defeated T's Pub of Boston by a score of 6-4.
In the 30-Plus Division, the Frozen Hacks of Franklin, Mass., defeated the West Coast Blasters of Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, by a score of 9-6.
In the Open Division, the Ice Holes of Wakefield, Mass., won the trophy by defeating the Winnipesaukee Whalers of Meredith, 10-4.
In the Women's Division, the Eagles of Boston won the title, defeating Joe's Chicks of Laconia, 6-0.
Tournament organizer Scott Crowder said more teams will likely be added to the more than 200 that came to this year's tournament.
"From our perspective it was a great weekend being outside and playing hockey," Crowder said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Route 101 In Auburn Renamed For 101st Airborne 'Screaming Eagles' - 0
- Worth keeping all these years later: A Churchill cigar (yes, that Churchill) - 0
- Keene Pumpkin Festival brings out big admission from Boston mascot - 0
- John Harrigan: A sad dog story, borders and Ebola - 0
- Hundreds attend memorial for slain journalist on his birthday - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Trimming dog's weight may be as simple as a smaller scoop and bowl - 0
- Learning from her experience, she's ready to help others - 0
- Fur trapping is finding new converts in NH after decades of decline - 0
- Loeb School honors James Foley as First Amendment Award Recipient - 0
Boz Scaggs explores a bit of 'Memphis'
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
Sprague seeks more assets from Fuller Oil
More violence at Keene