Pond Hockey Classic draws crowds to Meredith
"We were champs for two years, that's pretty good," said Bill Neer of Moultonborough, a member of the Locals, as he watched the Broots Magoots receive their wooden cup trophy for winning the Just-for-Fun Under-35 Division championship, which the Magoots won, 7-5.
The Magoots had set their sights on winning after losing in the semifinals last year.
"It's sweet," said Magoot Nate Gagne of Manchester.
Winning the Just-for-Fun Over-35 Division, the Pylons of Chelmsford, Mass., defeated the Bulldogs of Sudbury, Mass. by a score of 5-4.
In the 40-plus Division, the Bumbles of Laconia defeated the Kings of the South Shore, Mass., by a score of 7-2.
In the 50-plus division, the Essex 73s of Nashua defeated T's Pub of Boston by a score of 6-4.
In the 30-Plus Division, the Frozen Hacks of Franklin, Mass., defeated the West Coast Blasters of Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, by a score of 9-6.
In the Open Division, the Ice Holes of Wakefield, Mass., won the trophy by defeating the Winnipesaukee Whalers of Meredith, 10-4.
In the Women's Division, the Eagles of Boston won the title, defeating Joe's Chicks of Laconia, 6-0.
Tournament organizer Scott Crowder said more teams will likely be added to the more than 200 that came to this year's tournament.
"From our perspective it was a great weekend being outside and playing hockey," Crowder said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mt. Washington warning: Spring a time of danger - 0
- Bedford police will collect old, unused and unwanted drugs - 0
- Ashland Community Garden ribbon-cutting set for Saturday - 0
- Cynthia's Challenge raises $31K to help buy service dog - 0
- Preston's 'Idol' adventure goes on - 0
- Hemophilia Charity Bike Ride Comes to New Hampshire - 0
- Scholars from Across U.S. Gather at Plymouth State University's 35th Annual Medieval and Renaissance Forum April 25 and 26 - 0
- Former legendary Foreigner frontman Lou Gramm to perform - 1
- Granite State campuses leap into spring with April performances - 0
Preston's 'Idol' adventure goes on
Win tickets to see Cheap Trick
Win tickets to see The Monkees!
Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales
IT overload: Bureaucracy on bureaucracy