Pond Hockey Classic draws crowds to Meredith
"We were champs for two years, that's pretty good," said Bill Neer of Moultonborough, a member of the Locals, as he watched the Broots Magoots receive their wooden cup trophy for winning the Just-for-Fun Under-35 Division championship, which the Magoots won, 7-5.
The Magoots had set their sights on winning after losing in the semifinals last year.
"It's sweet," said Magoot Nate Gagne of Manchester.
Winning the Just-for-Fun Over-35 Division, the Pylons of Chelmsford, Mass., defeated the Bulldogs of Sudbury, Mass. by a score of 5-4.
In the 40-plus Division, the Bumbles of Laconia defeated the Kings of the South Shore, Mass., by a score of 7-2.
In the 50-plus division, the Essex 73s of Nashua defeated T's Pub of Boston by a score of 6-4.
In the 30-Plus Division, the Frozen Hacks of Franklin, Mass., defeated the West Coast Blasters of Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, by a score of 9-6.
In the Open Division, the Ice Holes of Wakefield, Mass., won the trophy by defeating the Winnipesaukee Whalers of Meredith, 10-4.
In the Women's Division, the Eagles of Boston won the title, defeating Joe's Chicks of Laconia, 6-0.
Tournament organizer Scott Crowder said more teams will likely be added to the more than 200 that came to this year's tournament.
"From our perspective it was a great weekend being outside and playing hockey," Crowder said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tasting Notes with Jim Beauregard: Turkey Day wines and a resource for brewers - 0
- Hopkinton vigil sheds a light on bullying - 0
- Goffstown taking aim at invasive species - 0
- First graders enjoy early Thanksgiving feast - 0
- Dover to hold 29th annual Christmas tree lighting ceremony - 0
- Manchester Christmas Parade steps off Dec. 6 - 0
- A Chat with Elsie: Silent auction, dancing highlights at 'Holiday of Hope' on Dec. 5 - 0
- After board OK's extension, Manchester mayor slams Hooksett tuition offer - 1
- Operation Santa helps disabled, elderly residents - 0
Flying in for some homestyle cooking
Goffstown taking aim at invasive species
First graders enjoy early Thanksgiving feast
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection