Pond Hockey Classic draws crowds to Meredith
"We were champs for two years, that's pretty good," said Bill Neer of Moultonborough, a member of the Locals, as he watched the Broots Magoots receive their wooden cup trophy for winning the Just-for-Fun Under-35 Division championship, which the Magoots won, 7-5.
The Magoots had set their sights on winning after losing in the semifinals last year.
"It's sweet," said Magoot Nate Gagne of Manchester.
Winning the Just-for-Fun Over-35 Division, the Pylons of Chelmsford, Mass., defeated the Bulldogs of Sudbury, Mass. by a score of 5-4.
In the 40-plus Division, the Bumbles of Laconia defeated the Kings of the South Shore, Mass., by a score of 7-2.
In the 50-plus division, the Essex 73s of Nashua defeated T's Pub of Boston by a score of 6-4.
In the 30-Plus Division, the Frozen Hacks of Franklin, Mass., defeated the West Coast Blasters of Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, by a score of 9-6.
In the Open Division, the Ice Holes of Wakefield, Mass., won the trophy by defeating the Winnipesaukee Whalers of Meredith, 10-4.
In the Women's Division, the Eagles of Boston won the title, defeating Joe's Chicks of Laconia, 6-0.
Tournament organizer Scott Crowder said more teams will likely be added to the more than 200 that came to this year's tournament.
"From our perspective it was a great weekend being outside and playing hockey," Crowder said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Food truck festival to park at Redhood Brewery Sunday - 0
- 'Frozen' characters featured in Princess Tea Party in Gilford - 0
- Portsmouth photographer's striking portraits headed to Colorado - 0
- See how it's done and try your hand at art during Demo Day - 0
- Take in the views at Manchester's Weston Observatory - 0
- Sweet Remains stops in Plymouth - 0
- It's all about the harmonies for this Sunday afternoon adventure - 0
- Mary Gatchell to perform at the Leddy Center Friday - 0
- Tour artists' studios, autumn landscape - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Ani DiFranco
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
State surplus isn't big enough
Weare police sergeant's firing rescinded
Planned Parenthood endorses Hassan
Brown a no-show at border security meetings
Prosecutor: No right to a uniform