Pond Hockey Classic draws crowds to Meredith
"We were champs for two years, that's pretty good," said Bill Neer of Moultonborough, a member of the Locals, as he watched the Broots Magoots receive their wooden cup trophy for winning the Just-for-Fun Under-35 Division championship, which the Magoots won, 7-5.
The Magoots had set their sights on winning after losing in the semifinals last year.
"It's sweet," said Magoot Nate Gagne of Manchester.
Winning the Just-for-Fun Over-35 Division, the Pylons of Chelmsford, Mass., defeated the Bulldogs of Sudbury, Mass. by a score of 5-4.
In the 40-plus Division, the Bumbles of Laconia defeated the Kings of the South Shore, Mass., by a score of 7-2.
In the 50-plus division, the Essex 73s of Nashua defeated T's Pub of Boston by a score of 6-4.
In the 30-Plus Division, the Frozen Hacks of Franklin, Mass., defeated the West Coast Blasters of Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, by a score of 9-6.
In the Open Division, the Ice Holes of Wakefield, Mass., won the trophy by defeating the Winnipesaukee Whalers of Meredith, 10-4.
In the Women's Division, the Eagles of Boston won the title, defeating Joe's Chicks of Laconia, 6-0.
Tournament organizer Scott Crowder said more teams will likely be added to the more than 200 that came to this year's tournament.
"From our perspective it was a great weekend being outside and playing hockey," Crowder said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNO Pizzeria in Hudson plans cancer fundraiser - 0
- Farmington firefighters to don pink for fundraiser - 0
- 5K honors city teen who died from cancer - 0
- Great North Woods, White Mountains foliage expected to hit peak next week - 0
- Salem Rams hope to memorialize volunteer with scoreboard naming - 0
- Salem looks ahead to property updates - 0
- NH Club Briefs: Molly Stark DAR hosts Constitution meeting - 0
- Keene festival's pumpkin giveaway requires online registration this year - 0
- Currier Museum showcases impossible possibilities by M.C. Escher, who inspired generations of pop culture - 0
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
NH couple hit slot for $2.4m in Las Vegas
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
5K honors city teen who died from cancer
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it