Pond Hockey Classic draws crowds to Meredith
"We were champs for two years, that's pretty good," said Bill Neer of Moultonborough, a member of the Locals, as he watched the Broots Magoots receive their wooden cup trophy for winning the Just-for-Fun Under-35 Division championship, which the Magoots won, 7-5.
The Magoots had set their sights on winning after losing in the semifinals last year.
"It's sweet," said Magoot Nate Gagne of Manchester.
Winning the Just-for-Fun Over-35 Division, the Pylons of Chelmsford, Mass., defeated the Bulldogs of Sudbury, Mass. by a score of 5-4.
In the 40-plus Division, the Bumbles of Laconia defeated the Kings of the South Shore, Mass., by a score of 7-2.
In the 50-plus division, the Essex 73s of Nashua defeated T's Pub of Boston by a score of 6-4.
In the 30-Plus Division, the Frozen Hacks of Franklin, Mass., defeated the West Coast Blasters of Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, by a score of 9-6.
In the Open Division, the Ice Holes of Wakefield, Mass., won the trophy by defeating the Winnipesaukee Whalers of Meredith, 10-4.
In the Women's Division, the Eagles of Boston won the title, defeating Joe's Chicks of Laconia, 6-0.
Tournament organizer Scott Crowder said more teams will likely be added to the more than 200 that came to this year's tournament.
"From our perspective it was a great weekend being outside and playing hockey," Crowder said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Robert Randolph & The Family Band bring the funk to Plymouth - 0
- Governor Proclaims May 16-23 as Restaurant Week NH - 0
- 7th-grader's effort paves way for smoke-free beaches - 0
- Auburn native believes in faith and fashion - 0
- Forest Journal: Making the grade in the syrup biz - 0
- Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Online license purchases prove user unfriendly for some hunters and anglers - 0
- Nova Scotia ferry departs Singapore - 0
- Win tickets to see Cheap Trick - 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Crabapple trees great for wildlife in winter - 0
Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Online license purchases prove user unfriendly for some hunters and anglers
Auburn native believes in faith and fashion
Nova Scotia ferry departs Singapore
Win tickets to see Cheap Trick
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
GOP panel stresses teamwork, sincerity
NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll