Dec 19, 2013
Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Gilford police report large jump in DWI arrests in town
"When you look at the totality of the causes, the economy seems to be better and there seem to be more people out on the roads drinking," said Sgt. Eric Bredbury, the town's prosecuting officer.
"We're seeing some higher blood-alcohol contents too," he said.
Last year, town police arrested 75 people for driving while intoxicated. In 2011, police arrested 47 for DWI. Previous years had lesser numbers of DWI arrests, Bredbury said.
Of the 75 arrests, only two contested their arrests, he said.
"The vast majority of those arrested pled out," he said. "That's a victory as well."
Increased training at the state level and the addition of DWI testing machine training has helped, he said.
In addition, the department has made more requests for DWI patrol grants from the Department of Safety for this year and next.
Such grants pay for special DWI patrols.
Bredbury said he and Police Chief Kevin Keenan worked with young officers on training for DWI detections and arrests.
The department is pleased that the training seems to be working.
"We're proud of our success in this," Bredbury said. "We've been very busy, obviously."
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 6
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 5
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- Page Restaurant owners agree to pay $4,000 as part of plea deal - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 15
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424