May 22, 2013
May 15, 2013
May 8, 2013
May 1, 2013
Gilford police report large jump in DWI arrests in town
"When you look at the totality of the causes, the economy seems to be better and there seem to be more people out on the roads drinking," said Sgt. Eric Bredbury, the town's prosecuting officer.
"We're seeing some higher blood-alcohol contents too," he said.
Last year, town police arrested 75 people for driving while intoxicated. In 2011, police arrested 47 for DWI. Previous years had lesser numbers of DWI arrests, Bredbury said.
Of the 75 arrests, only two contested their arrests, he said.
"The vast majority of those arrested pled out," he said. "That's a victory as well."
Increased training at the state level and the addition of DWI testing machine training has helped, he said.
In addition, the department has made more requests for DWI patrol grants from the Department of Safety for this year and next.
Such grants pay for special DWI patrols.
Bredbury said he and Police Chief Kevin Keenan worked with young officers on training for DWI detections and arrests.
The department is pleased that the training seems to be working.
"We're proud of our success in this," Bredbury said. "We've been very busy, obviously."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Portsmouth manhunt suspect turns himself in to police - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Manchester murder case remains 'active' - 0
- Manchester man gets federal prison time for mail fraud - 0
- Duo allegedly chased off by Windham neighbor with broom indicted over break-in - 6
- Plea deal expected for man who tried to take officer's gun - 0
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- 65 mph OK for E-ZPass drivers with opening of new lanes at Hooksett toll plaza - 1
- Updated: NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 3
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 12
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 30
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
License revocations for DWI announced
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424