Nov 6, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Gilford police report large jump in DWI arrests in town
"When you look at the totality of the causes, the economy seems to be better and there seem to be more people out on the roads drinking," said Sgt. Eric Bredbury, the town's prosecuting officer.
"We're seeing some higher blood-alcohol contents too," he said.
Last year, town police arrested 75 people for driving while intoxicated. In 2011, police arrested 47 for DWI. Previous years had lesser numbers of DWI arrests, Bredbury said.
Of the 75 arrests, only two contested their arrests, he said.
"The vast majority of those arrested pled out," he said. "That's a victory as well."
Increased training at the state level and the addition of DWI testing machine training has helped, he said.
In addition, the department has made more requests for DWI patrol grants from the Department of Safety for this year and next.
Such grants pay for special DWI patrols.
Bredbury said he and Police Chief Kevin Keenan worked with young officers on training for DWI detections and arrests.
The department is pleased that the training seems to be working.
"We're proud of our success in this," Bredbury said. "We've been very busy, obviously."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Henniker police shoot suspect in truck heist - 1
- Man extradited from Texas on July report of sexual assault on juvenile in Nashua - 0
- Manchester police investigating after man stabbed in neck - 1
- Ferguson protests enter third day; arrests in St. Louis - 0
- Abuse history at Nashua address where 3-year-old died - 7
- Franklin robbery suspect sought, considered armed and dangerous - 0
- Franklin man and woman arraigned for attempted prostitution of minor - 1
- Police investigating death of 3-year-old girl in Nashua - 7
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hamilton's OT goal wins for Bruins - 0
- Dowd's goal wins for Manchester - 0
- John Habib's City Sports:'Moment' is here: Derryfield CC renovation begins - 0
- Driver charged with DWI after mayhem on I-293 - 0
- Department of Employment Security sends confidential ID info to wrong firms - 0
- Day Three in the dark for many in NH - 0
- Man, 86, struck by car while crossing street in Manchester - 0
- Hot deals, warm shoppers - 0
- Londonderry shelter gives residents warm place to stay after power outages - 0
Day Three in the dark for many in NH
Man allegedly tries to run over officer in Manchester, police van crashes while responding
Derry holiday parade to be held today
Hamilton's OT goal wins for Bruins
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483