Back rubs earn Hooksett substitute teacher a walk out the door
The seventh-grade substitute teacher at Hooksett's Cawley Middle School was walked out of the building Jan. 31 after touching students in "too familiar" a manner, according to district officials. School officials did not identify the teacher or say if it was a man or a woman.
The school's principal, Matthew Benson, called the reported behavior "not acceptable" in a letter sent home to parents Feb. 1, adding that it was "inconsistent with the behavior we expect from adults in a school environment."
The letter did not otherwise elaborate on the nature of the incident, but according to a parent who spoke off the record, the substitute had been approaching students from behind while they were studying and giving them back and shoulder rubs.
The substitute teacher was immediately and permanently removed from the building once school officials were notified of the incident.
Superintendent Dr. Charles P. Littlefield and the Hooksett Police Department were also notified immediately.
A Safe Schools report was filed with the department on Feb. 1.
It does not appear that any charges will be pressed, though no official word has been offered on the matter. Hooksett Police have not issued a press release on the incident, and inquiries on the incident made to the department were deferred to School Resource Officer Gary Blanchette, who did not return calls.
The letter from Benson did note, however, that he had spoken with all parents and students involved in the incident, and he believed that school officials had "brought closure to the matter."
Benson declined to comment on the issue, deferring to the SAU office. Littlefield was not available for comment.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Guard members buoyed by deployment ceremony - 0
- U.S. helicopters return to combat missions in Iraq - 0
- Video: British hostage beheaded by ISIS - 14
- To remember the POW and MIA: Recognition Day ceremony in Boscawen - 0
- Goffstown High grad finishes Air Force training - 0
- JFK picture on side of Dallas tour bus draws ire, threats - 0
- Yellowstone tourist fined for crashed drone - 0
- FBI chief claims killer of Foley and Sotloff is identified - 0
- FBI says militant in beheading videos ID'd; about a dozen from U.S. have fought with militants in Syria - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Osgood Road closed in Milford, 33% without power - 0
- PSNH says storm ranks as 4th largest for peak outage - 0
- Henniker police shoot suspect in truck heist - 0
- More than 200,000 New Hampshire customers without power - 1
- Thanksgiving travel a nightmare as storm dumps heavy, wet snow - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record