Home » News » Public Safety
Second man injured in Gilford bob house explosion wakes up
Kevin Fitzpatrick is recovering at his Manchester home after he was injured in a bob house explosion on Lake Winnipesaukee early Sunday morning. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
Ryan Gagne, 26, of Pelham, woke up for the first time Monday since the propane heater in his newly purchased bob house exploded on the ice of Lake Winnipesaukee shortly after 2 a.m. Sunday, according to his sister, Ashley Gagne.
Gagne suffered second-degree burns to his hands and his upper body in the explosion, which was sparked when Gagne apparently woke up and tried to light the stove, according to his companion in the bob house, Kevin Fitzpatrick, who was also seriously burned but was released from a Laconia hospital Sunday.
Gagne was flown by helicopter to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, where he was listed in critical condition Sunday. On Monday, as he was sedated, doctors lowered a probe into his lungs to look for burn damage but found none, Ashley Gagne said.
"He woke up today," she said. "They expect him to recover fully, though he'll have to have some skin grafts on his hands, and it looks like a long recovery."
Gagne, who runs Gagne Landscaping in Pelham with Fitzpatrick, is having some problems dealing with his injuries, his sister said.
"He feels lucky to be alive," she said. "But him just sitting on a bed with nothing to do is not good. He's the type of person that needs to be busy."
"I just thank God the whole bob house didn't blow," said Gagne's father, Richard Gagne.
Fitzpatrick was recovering at his Manchester home Monday, having suffered second-degree burns to his hands and head, some of which have partially closed one of his eyes.
In Gilford, authorities were still investigating the explosion Monday. An investigator from the state Fire Marshal's office was at the bob house in the morning, said Gilford fire Lt. Jeff Madon.
Investigators are looking into whether the propane heater and its accompanying propane cook stove were installed with proper attachments, and whether the bob house was vented properly, he said.
Fish and Game Lt. Robert Bryant said propane heaters and cookers are not uncommon in bob houses on lakes. Other heating sources are also commonly used, such as small wood stoves, he said.
State and local authorities neither recommend nor discourage the use of propane stoves, though they strongly encourage proper use of any heating source on the ice, he said. Fumes from many heating sources, if not vented properly, can be lethal.
"People use (propane stoves) all the time," Bryant said. "They just need to be careful that all the hookups are tighter, and that whatever the setup, there is no excess gas anywhere."
Bob houses are not subject to safety inspections. "They're basically just like tents as far as we're concerned," Madon said.
"We can't tell people whether to have one kind of stove or another, all we can do is tell people whatever they use, make sure they install it properly, or have it installed properly. Obviously there are plenty of perfectly safe, operational systems out on the ice now."
Investigators are looking at whether Gagne's bob house was vented properly. There was one manually operated vent at the top, but propane stoves need venting low in the bob house, as propane sinks.
"I'm not sure if that vent would have helped," Madon said.
"That's all part of the investigation."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 11
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 0
- Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn - 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 7
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return itREADER COMMENTS: 0
Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'