Home » Opinion » Editorials
An unsecured path: Unworkable immigration 'reform'
The Senate plan grants provisional legal status to illegals, who would have to pay back taxes and a penalty and pass a criminal background check. They could attain a green card only after certain enforcement provisions, such as implementing a tracking system for people who enter the country on temporary visas and requiring the use of E-Verify by employers, are complete.
President Obama offered similar carrots and sticks in a similar order. The senators and the President must take all of us for fools. There is no way that meaningful border enforcement will come from either of these proposals. That is because neither offers it. "It" is a border fence.
Last week an illegal immigrant was arrested in Raleigh, N.C., for DWI. He had been deported in 2008. And 2009. And 2011. Without a fence, deportation means nothing. Without the threat of meaningful deportation, the incentives to stay on the "path to citizenship" have no bite. Why bother completing the path once you have legal status? As columnist Charles Krauthammer has pointed out, once granted, "provisional" legal status will never be revoked.
Give us real border security first. Everything else comes afterward.
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
- Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council - 1
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
- Bottle store blues: The useless grocery mandate - 2
- Finding city revenue: Seek more private partners - 0
- Putin's freedom: Obama's weakness - 42
- Safe seats, frequent flyers - 0
- Sports volunteers: Eric Mommsen embodies the spirit - 0
- Issa drops in: Doesn't match media slant - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 5
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 1
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief