Home » Opinion » Editorials
An unsecured path: Unworkable immigration 'reform'
The Senate plan grants provisional legal status to illegals, who would have to pay back taxes and a penalty and pass a criminal background check. They could attain a green card only after certain enforcement provisions, such as implementing a tracking system for people who enter the country on temporary visas and requiring the use of E-Verify by employers, are complete.
President Obama offered similar carrots and sticks in a similar order. The senators and the President must take all of us for fools. There is no way that meaningful border enforcement will come from either of these proposals. That is because neither offers it. "It" is a border fence.
Last week an illegal immigrant was arrested in Raleigh, N.C., for DWI. He had been deported in 2008. And 2009. And 2011. Without a fence, deportation means nothing. Without the threat of meaningful deportation, the incentives to stay on the "path to citizenship" have no bite. Why bother completing the path once you have legal status? As columnist Charles Krauthammer has pointed out, once granted, "provisional" legal status will never be revoked.
Give us real border security first. Everything else comes afterward.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 28
- The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw - 29
- Smith schools Hassan: Leadership in Londonderry - 0
- Where officers live: Manchester is missing the point - 4
- Leo Bernier: For Hillsborough County Commission - 0
- Insurance exchanges Sam's Club or Obama's club? - 11
- Garcia and Guinta: For a change, send them to DC - 22
- Jeanne's travel ban: She doesn't want Obama here - 14
- Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Manchester Marathon day to draw about 1,700 runners - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Londonderry vs. Salem is a playoff contest - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 2
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 6
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 1
- Giving Max effort for the Wildcats - 0
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four