Sep 18, 2014
Sep 4, 2014
Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
'Jack the Snipper' suspect arrested on exposure charge in Dover
Police said Jeffrey Gelinas, 37, on Sunday exposed his genitals to a young girl while at the Bed, Bath and Beyond store at 875 Central Ave. The girl got her mother's attention and Gelinas ran away, police said.
Police, after receiving several tips identifying him from surveillance videos, arrested him without incident on Elm Street in Manchester Tuesday.
He is scheduled to be arraigned at 10:45 a.m. today in Dover District Court.
Gelinas was paroled last year after serving an eight-year sentence.
In 2003 and 2004, Durham police had zeroed in on Gelinas as their sole suspect in eight "Jack the Snipper" burglaries. Gelinas was arrested and subsequently pleaded guilty to a single charge of attempted burglary.
"The reality of it was this was a series of acts that, I wouldn't want to say paralyzed the community, but was incredibly unsettling for the community," Durham Police Chief David L. Kurz said last year.
The case drew national media attention. At one point, Durham police consulted with a psychologist, who feared the crimes could progress into violence, Kurz said.
The Snipper never targeted university-owned housing, the chief said. He accessed off-campus apartments by walking down common hallways and checking doors. He never broke a lock or window; he merely walked into unlocked apartments, Kurz said last year.
"There were some really traumatized victims. Trauma and fear were really permeating the community," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police release photos from alleged hotel robbery - 0
- Nashua driver charged after crashing car 25 minutes after getting 92-mph speeding ticket - 1
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 2
- Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 28
- Dalton man sentenced for assaulting inmate - 0
- Hampstead man accused of sex assaults on girl - 0
- Police say man kills daughter, 6 grandchildren in Fla. murder-suicide - 3
- 2 men arrested in Manchester SWAT raid, drug bust - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917